Saturday, June 02, 2007
Not a Break
We didn't have a good feeling about Kenzie's diagnosis after hearing the specialist's comment about it when she saw him on Weds...he just seemed really blase about it and then when I picked up the xray report Weds evening (which we didn't have at the time of the specialist visit that morning) that basically said that he didn't feel that it was a break but that the spot was a normal variation in the bone. Because of the conflicting info and just our gut feelings we decided to get another opinion. I took her in this morning to see another specialist who was awesome! I really liked how much he talked to us and how he took the time to explain things. He is very confident that her collarbone isn't broken...so confident, in fact, that he took her out of the brace and sling she'd been wearing and said that she could return to softball. That's the good news. The bad news is that he's worried about the localized pain she's having which is associated with a dark spot on her xray. He's concerned that it could be a bone infection, osteomyelitis, and he wants us to have a whole series of tests done including blood work ups, an mri and a bone scan. And he wants all of this done so that we can go back to see him Thursday morning. It will be interesting to see if I can get all that scheduled in time...blood work is no problem but the other two I'm not sure about and I have to wait til Monday morning to call about them. The drs assistant told me that if I had any problems getting the appts to give her a call and she would make some phone calls for me. Sounds pretty serious to me and after reading up a little about osteomyelitis, I'm now wishing it was just a simple collar bone break. Hopefully all these tests will rule out the bone infection...although, if they do, I'm not sure where that leads us since something is causing her pain.