Thursday, August 10, 2006

Soccer = Chickens

Now you might be wondering how that is possible but if you knew my DH it wouldn't surprise you any. It all started with an innocent phone call that I made to the zoning office today to find out what kind of animals we can keep on our current property (we live in a subdivision on .80 acres) . Much to my surprise, they indicated that they don't restrict any type of animals from any property in the county....that if we lived in a subdivision, we would have to check with the hoa to check the by-laws on what was allowed/prohibited. We live in an old subdivision that had a hoa established when the community was first starting but that had long since been disbanned (mainly because they could never agree on anything) by the time we moved in here so as far as we know there arae no restrictions on what we put on our lot. Within reason, of course. I certainly wouldn't put the cow, or pig or even llamas or alpacas (sorry V!) that we'd been talking about but a few chickens at the back of our property now seems doable. Well, of course, I made the mistake(? LOL) of telling DH about my conversation with the zoning office. I didn't think anything else about it...came home for dinner...he left to go to soccer practice with some of the kids, I stayed home and played outside with Bekah. An hour and a half later (soccer practice is only an hr long) I get a phone call from him saying that we are getting chickens. Only my hubby could go to soccer practice and return with chickens. *shakes head* How did this happen you're wondering. Turns out, on the team he was coaching tonight there was a child of a family we know that owns a farm down the road from us and yes, you guessed it, they have chickens! So they offered to fertilize some eggs and in a few weeks will give them to us, along with an incubator, and we'll get to hatch some baby chicks. Of course now we have to figure out where to put these silly chickens once they get bigger so hubby been looking at how to make a coop for them. Whatever in the world have we gotten ourselves in to? And that, in a nutshell, is how soccer = chickens. LOL

4 comments:

Megan said...

I went to the county fair yesterday, and all of the 4-H chickens were there - I had no idea chickens came in so many different types! What kind will you be getting?

_ said...

You know, that's a good question...I haven't a clue. Guess we should find that out. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh that is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

how funny!
I love reading about your family

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...